UPDATE : iPhone 3GS has a different security feature which disables it from using any other firmware rather than the latest available. So, if you still need Unlock and Jailbreak, custom firmware (look in categories) is the only option we have. The following article is not recommended anymore. Thank you.
Geohot rules yet again! He was the one to have unlocked the iPhone first generation phone back in 2007 and now, he is back with more! This time it is iPhone 3GS that is unlocked and jailbroken by the hacking maestro (He wrote the jailbreak tool while unlock tool ultrasn0w is written by the Dev Team).
Without further ado, lets welcome the new Jailbreak tool for Windows and Macintosh computers.
Follow these steps closely :
1) You should have an iPhone 3GS to start with! iPhone 3G owners should follow this guide instead.
2) Download or make sure you have the latest iTunes version 8.2 for Windows.
3) You can use either Mac OS X, Windows XP, Windows Vista , Windows 7 or Windows XP with VMWare on a Mac for Purplera1n RC2.
4) If you qualify the 3 steps above,
download purplera1n RC2a for Windows (an awesomely designed 394 KB tool, by far the slimmest version of Jailbreak!).
5) Connect your iPhone 3GS to your computer and double click purplera1n.exe (Windows) or purplera1n (Mac) that you just downloaded. Now click on make it ra1n.
6a) Let purplera1n do its magic (It will put your iPhone 3GS in recovery mode and will install Freeze on your iPhone.)
(If the infamous windows crash message appears, close it and launch purplera1n again. It will start from where it last crashed! The entire jailbreak took less than 2 minutes! Awesome job Geohot!)
(Turn WiFi ON on your iPhone for faster Cydia installation)
6b) If your iPhone is still showing ‘Emergency Calls’ screen, you will have to hackitvate your iPhone 3GS before you can install Cydia and Unlock your iPhone.
7) Launch Freeze on your iPhone and install Cydia! It couldn’t be simpler! If you don’t see Freeze on your iPhone reboot your iPhone.
8) You have 2 choices to Unlock your iPhone 3GS. Geohot and Dev Team. You should now see Cydia on your iPhone 3GS!
Follow Geohot’s Unlock if you have an activated iPhone 3GS.
Follow this quick screenshot tour of Ultrasn0w to unlock your iPhone 3GS using Dev Team’s unlock. Use this method if your iPhone is not activated.
9) Reboot your iPhone 3GS for full unlock glory! Wait for the signal to show up! It works great! Props to Dev Team and the famous Geo!
Please donate to Geohot for all his efforts on this project. The Google kid shines! Feel free to post a comment if you are having an issue with this method.
p.s : Winterboard is causing the iPhone 3GS to boot in Safe Mode. Stay away from most of the Cydia apps. SBSettings works great. Any app that is dependent on Mobilesubstrate may cause some issues (Safe Mode). MobileSubstrate fixed all issues!
Ultrasn0w is causing some issues with WiFi at the moment. Please proceed cautiously. Ultrasn0w and purplesn0w – both work great!