WARNING : Spirit jailbreak is designed to work ONLY on freshly restored, activated/hacktivated iDevices. In case of iPhones, it shouldn’t be unlocked using blacksn0w. You are warned. If you have a infinite apple logo loop issue, read this.
Your iDevices don’t need those blackra1n runs anymore! Untethered jailbreak for iPhone 3G, 3GS, iPad and iPhone 3G is now available, thanks to comex. Please donate to comex if he saved you a lot of hassle, I am sure he did!
Caution : Cydia for iPad is still at its infancy. Things can go terribly wrong if you go crazy with Cydia app downloads on your iPad. You have been warned!
If your iPhone is currently using tethered jailbreak, then please sync/backup on iTunes and then restore it to a custom 3.1.2 firmware. Please post a comment if you are confused. If this step is done wrong, your unlock is gone.
Spirit Jailbreak facilitates an untethered jailbreak and it ain’t an unlock for 5.12.01 baseband btw.
Unlock is still pending, waiting for iPhone 4.0 firmware to hit the scene maybe!
How to run :
1) Download Spirit Jailbreak for the appropriate platform (Windows/Mac) :
2) Connect your iDevice (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch) to your PC/Mac and double click the downloaded file
3) Click on Jailbreak! You will see some nice purple goodness on your iDevice.
4) You will now have Cydia and untethered jailbreak as a bonus!
If you got this dreaded c0000005 message, right click on Spirit Jailbreak and run it in compatibility mode (Win 98/95).
Ask a question if you have an iota of doubt since this is serious stuff. Enjoy your untethered jailbreak now!
If you have used blackra1n (tethered) before and have modem firmware (baseband) of 5.11.07, follow this. Credit to Peter Pan for the tip. I tried the above method on a Mac and it worked flawlessly on a stock 3.1.3 3GS iPhone. If you want to preserve unlock, then try the following :
1. Sync/backup your iPhone in iTunes
2. Download custom 3.1.2 firmware
3. Download IREB 3.1-3
4. Restart your iPhone, it will boot in recovery mode
5. Use IREB, chose model (3g for 3gs), then choose use iTunes to restore the custom firmware downloaded in step 2
6. After restore, and yes, for me it worked without having access to the SHSH server, you need to activate your iPhone in iTunes (put in a sim card with is allowed just to boot and activate, or use a pre-activated 3.1.2)
7. Now you have a factory setting “new” 3.1.2. which will boot as normal, then use SPIRIT to jailbreak
8. Phone will boot, you will notice the logo during first boot (Spirit one)
9. You have a jailbroken phone with 3.1.2 and untherered boot now!
9.a. Establish WIFI connection
10. Open Cydia, add http://blackra1n.com as new repo
11. Search for “blacksn0w” app
12. Run blacksnow which will also unlock your phone.
13 Restart Phone with SIM card of your choice
14 et voila..you have a 3.1.2 phone with unlock and jailbreak.
Took me a couple of hours to get there, now I am giving it to you…
worked fine on a 3GS (MC133FD) 3.1.2, Modem 05.11.07