That came as a surprise! Free custom ringtones!! No more tweaking,hacking and what not. Though only for Mac users for now via GarageBand 4.1.1,iTunes 7.5 and iPhone 1.1.2, this is the coolest thing that happened to iPhone (officially) apart from Video support!! Apple wants Windows users to be mac converts probably!!
- First things first, perform a Software Update – iTunes 7.5 a must and so is Garageband 4.1.1!!
- Launch Garageband and drag an mp3 file ( not purchased from iTunes).
- Make sure the song you select is no more than 40 seconds.
- Drag the cycle region (the top region as shown in the picture here) to make sure it is less than or equal to 40 seconds.
- Tweak your song to your heart’s content and click on Share -> Send Ringtone to iTunes and let it convert for you!!
- Sync your iPhone with iTunes and there you go – Your first custom iPhone ringtone, yayyyyy!!
If ‘Send Ringtone to iTunes’ is dimmed, make sure iTunes 7.5 is installed. My first ringtone had a great volume with just the default settings. No more missed calls , no more Marimba!! Apple rocks or is it that Apple is beginning to rock by scrapping the protected features one by one!!