Geohot’s Blackra1n Jailbreaks 3.1.2 iPhone 3G, 3GS, iPod Touch : Dangerous for Unlock!
Geohot released a Windows version of jailbreak only tool for iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 2G/3G running at 3.1/3.1.2 firmware. Before even thinking about this jailbreak program, read this important warning over and over!
Blackra1n won’t Unlock 5.11 baseband. It just jailbreaks and it won’t hacktivate. This translates to the following :
You can use this program ONLY if you have an official iPhone contract and you don’t care about software unlock
You accidentally upgraded to 3.1.2 (upgraded baseband to 5.11) and want to use your iPhone like an iPod Touch (not sure about activation though).
Blackra1n is a 30 second jailbreak! All you have to download it (windows) and run the .exe file (run as administrator in Vista/Win 7).
There are a few important things to note about BlackRa1n: (Contributed by Chris! Thanks a lot buddy 🙂
* BlackRa1n can jailbreak OS 3.1 and 3.1.2
* BlackRa1n is for Windows only so far. If you’re using Windows 7 , run BlackRa1n as an admin with “Windows XP Compatibility” mode by enabling it from the “Properties” tab
* BlackRa1n does not hacktivate your iPhone, which means you must be using an official carrier
* BlackRa1n does not unlock the iPhone
* iPhone 3G and 3GS users should not upgrade to 3.1.2 if they want to keep their unlock. You will have to wait for an updated version of PwnageTool if you want to unlock the latest OS.
* the iPod Touch 3G is supported but it is a tethered jailbreak which means you’ll have to use BlackRa1n everytime you want to boot your iTouch
I would suggest you wait for Dev Team’s pwnage tool if you are waiting for custom 3.1.2 firmware.